Saturday 27 April 2013

dreaming in colour

I often get asked about my bracelet as it is assumed it's a recent High Street buy. I'm proud to say a Kenyan colleague and friend gave me his hand-crafted work about seven years ago after I said how much I loved it. (High Street accessories tend not to last that long!)




I've always been drawn to Maasai culture and handicraft.The colours and patterns are timeless. Worn alone it can add a pop of colour to an otherwise bland outfit, of worn in layers and it's a seriously powerful statement.





If you're interesting in wearing something similar, there are some reasonable High Street imitations but you'll be hard pressed to find any made in Africa.

Why wear an imitation when you can have the real thing and potentially make a difference in someone's life. 
 Both the Maasai Women Development Organisation and Tanzania Maasai Women Art are charitable organisations that aim to provide sustainable opportunities for local communities through the sale of their handicrafts. Worthy indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment